The establishment of Riverview Archives dates from 1974 when the then Headmaster, Rev Peter Quinn SJ saw the need to bring together the historical documents and papers recording the life of the College, which were scattered throughout various offices.
Riverview Archives supports the mission statement of the College by providing a place of perpetuity for those records, memorabilia and museum objects which, serve as the memory bank for the College’s staff, students, and the wider Riverview community, past and present. Riverview Archives also aims to promote and share the rich heritage of the College and the Jesuit tradition with the students, the wider Riverview community and the general public. Knowledge of our past helps us to understand the present and gives us direction for the future.
- To arrange, describe and safely store the archival records & artefacts generated by the College.
- To make certain records available for use by staff, and undertake research on behalf of the Riverview community and bone fide researchers.
- To display archival material and museum artefacts of interest to the Riverview community and other interested parties.
The Archives are the non-current records of the College (in-house material), as well as records of individuals associated with the College, which have been selected for permanent retention.
The archival records held in Riverview Archives include the following:
- Administrative records of Saint Ignatius’ College, Dalton Memorial Chapel and the Jesuit Community of Riverview, 1878 to the present [with legal documents dating from 1793]. These records make up the official records of the College.
- Photographs documenting buildings, students, staff, College activities, College grounds and the Lane Cove River.
- Private record groups consisting of private papers generated by members of the Riverview community. These private papers provide a balance to the official records of the College by helping to document the ‘human interest’ often missing from the official records.
Appointments and Enquiries
Riverview Archives is open by appointment only Monday to Friday during term time. The Archivist can be contacted at [email protected].