On the 15th February 2017, Saint Ignatius’ College, Riverview, celebrated a milestone by turning the soil and blessing the ground upon which the new Therry Building will be constructed.
To mark the occasion Rector Fr Ross Jones SJ, and Senior Chaplain Fr Jack McLain SJ, led a small group of staff, students, alumni, volunteers and benefactors in a ceremony acknowledging the history of the land and ushering in a new and exciting chapter for Riverview.
College Vice Captain (Day Boys), Benjamin Sullivan, led the Prayers of the Faithful, while Vice Captain (Boarding), Andrew Du Pont, ‘broke ground’ using a pick-axe that we believe dates back to 1883 from the original Gartlan Senior Boat Shed.
A time capsule containing letters from students and College mementos, was presented by Regis students Luke Bannerman (5.2) and Julian Reynolds (5.4) to Capital Works Manager, Bob Marsh. This was sealed and passed on to Tim Perrignon (OR76), from the QUASAR Group, to be buried in the foundation of the new Therry Building. We hope it will serve as a valuable history cache for future generations at the College.
With demolition concluding, preparation for the piers, footings and new foundation will commence. A number of initiatives are being introduced to reduce inevitable noise, including:
– Core holing dowels into the existing slab;
– Using a hydraulic pulveriser to remove the remaining concrete; and
– Installing additional insulation along the science labs
In consultation with our contractors, north facing windows in the Vaughn Building will be closed at certain times to minimise dust from the construction site, and re-opened when appropriate to provide ventilation. Additional fans have been procured to ensure a safe and comfortable learning environment for our students and teachers.
If you have any questions regarding the Ignis Project please email [email protected].
lte, Inflammate Omnia
~ Go, Set The World On Fire ~